Tuesday, November 21, 2006

RoboTRIx - Day 1

Govil arranged for a robotics workshop in our campus. He contacted some IITB graduates, who run some robotics institute .

Since it was the first technical 2 days workshop being organised in our college, many students were interested to attend it, although there was a huge registration fees.

Luckily on first come first serve basis I got the chance. ( or may be Govil is my good friend , and he was the incharge !! )

So lets begin the workshop :) But before starting let me tell you with what perception I attended this workshop. I joined this workshop only because my friends joined it, and more importantly Govil was involved. But once I got enrolled , I imagined a rough model of the robot, which I thought they would teach us to make. (will tell you later about this)

The lecture begins. For the first two hours, he kept talking about, what actually a robot is ?? It was an interative session, but I remained quiet, just listening to others. Next he moved on to mechanics, motion, FBD,wheels, etc. I didn't paid much attention, it was too boring!!

The real fun started after the tea break. They gave us (bhamri, dhruv, lokesh and me : we were divided in groups of four) a kit, and now it was our turn to make something! When we opened the pack , we found:

1. DC Motor 45 rpm (2)
2. Switch board
3. MS sheets
4. Wheel (4)
5. Screw driver
6. Spanner
7. Wires
8. Rubber strip
9. Nuts and bolts

And what we had to make was a car . They gave us some idea about the circuit connections and the final model. It was easy, we only had to assemble the things. "Oh! God we paid RS. 1450 for this !! ".

The two DC motors had to be connected to the rear wheel, and then connected to the switch in parallel, so simple !! Then run it by a 12V dc source.



Here is the final model of what we had made in the first day of workshop. We can run the car backward, front and turn it using the switches.
Have a look!




And he concluded the day by promosing us to give some more kit the next day.

And one more thing , before this day, I have never sat in a LT (lecture theater) continously for such long hours. (3hrs + 3hrs). Created a record :)

No comments:

Post a Comment