Friday, November 25, 2005

The journey begins...

When it was decided that I would have to join BITS-Pilani, Goa, I started preparing for the journey.

As nobody was free at home, I had to leave alone. The tickets were with me. The problem started from day1. My journey to bits took place in three phases. First from Deoghar to Howrah, then to Chennai (where I had to stay with my brother who is in IIT madras), and then to Vasco-da-gama.

The first phase was horrible. My coach was S10. Somehow it was placed next to the engine. I didn’t notice and went towards the train’s tail. When I realized that my concerned bogie was the first one , it was too late. So I entered S9. Now, I had a big heavy suitcase, which could not be lifted (could only be rolled) and a bigger bedding. So you can imagine my condition. I made two trips from S9 to S10 first with suitcase and then next with bedding, that too through the small space in the coach with lots of passengers and obstacles in between. I was almost dead!

At the Howrah junction, I was wearing my brother’s T-shirt with IIT madras written on it. A student enquired, whether I was an iitian, and guess what, I said, “yes”.

He said “so you are a first year student?” and I replied , “no I am a third year student”.

He was shocked that such a childish boy was in the third year. It was great fun. He kept asking me, how was IIT?, how to study to get into IIT, about coaching institutes and all such related stuffs. I kept him engaged for hours. At the end, I told him the truth.

Finally I reached Chennai, my brother received me and I went to IIT hostel with him. The campus of IIT Madras was great. There were many new-comers, and the seniors were ready to take their introduction and rag them. My brother Amrit and some of his friends called some of the new comers in their room. I joined the seniors. It was great fun to see the newcomers being ragged and the fact that they were mistaking me as a senior was making me happier.

Next morning I departed for Goa. On reaching my college, I completed the admission formalities. I was assigned a room in first floor. And now I was ready for my college life.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:55 PM

    Hey, you never told me about yourself pretending to be an IIT-ian from Howrah to Chennai? Poor guy; he would have had felt like a big ch**t after getting to know the truth from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting blog.. :) I was going through your previous posts. Believe me it was fun reading them.

    And the picture in this post looks amazing. You look more like a rockstar or something! :p

    ReplyDelete