Thursday, May 10, 2007

on being a teacher

I read this article in my annual college magazine. And it was the only article worth reading (comparatively)!

Dr. Nishighandha Bhuyan tells about her past, how her teacher inspired her (more than her parents) to get into IIT and then ISB and Wharton School.

But now, when she is a teacher herself she isn't 'all happy'.

"Now I keep wondering about my role as a teacher."

"I experience pleasant and unpleasant feelings in the classroom and outside. I do develop good rapport with some of them and draw their empathy and reciprocate the same. I do dislike some students , who trigger unpleasant feeling both in the classroom and outside."

"Apart from classroom interaction, there are many other unpleasant experiences which have turned around my experience and belief that how important a teacher can be in the life of student."

"Believe me, it hurt a teacher when an unpleasant feeling is prompted in teacher day message competition banner that goes out of campus."

"It hurts when teacher are called in the names of dogs and cats. These apart, other feeling are generated by the over all environment , which sometimes provokes anger and frustration about the job and entire role of teacher in society."

"However, I continue in this profession with all my doubts, " do the kids like me? Am I a good teacher? Should I continue being a teacher ?" "

Its really thought provoking ! Hope you don't pass comments on your teachers, or call them in the names of dogs and cat; at least avoid doing it, in front of them!

.

1 comment:

  1. very true ankit...!
    bt hey dat dsnt mean i do dat...hehehe
    bt its a worth while post of urs..2 b read by othrs..

    ReplyDelete